[tlug] $HOME/.config Directory

On 2008-08-25 06:07 -0400 (Mon), Scott Robbins wrote:

> Actually, I solved the mystery of the missing config file.  Somehow, I'd
> gotten a .config file in my $HOME directory that was owned by root.
>
> On Fedora, it did put in a default a .config/sakura/sakura.conf file....

Hm. Where did this idea and implementation of a ".config" dir in one's
home dir come from? I've not seen it before, even on Fedora systems
(where admittedly I don't use X11).

I ask because I have for years had my own .config directory, kept under
revision control, that contains all of my standard configuration files,
and I have a setup script that links the standard locations of things
into it. For example, .profile is linked to .config/dot/profile, and
bin/vfind (find ignoring .svn directories and their contents) is linked
to .config/bin/vfind.

Am I about to get my stuff stomped on in some modern Linux systems?

cjs