Re: [tlug] svn is case sensitive

Curt Sampson writes:
 > On 2008-08-21 14:48 +0900 (Thu), Hung Nguyen Vu wrote:
 >
 > > I've read the FAQ page but if I read correctly, they don't admit that
 > > it is a bug.
 >
 > It's not a bug in Subversion at all; it's an artifact of the file system
 > you are chosing to use.

I'm not familiar with subversion ("better CVS" is not for me, the
migration costs outweigh the admitted flaws of CVS), but all of the
distributed VCSes consider "flexibly and intuitively configurable
system dependencies" to be a missing feature.  This includes EOL
conventions and filename conventions, of which case sensitivity is
only the tip of the iceberg.

In general, of course, it's not a system dependency.  It's a project
dependency.  You could, for example, use FAT file systems on Linux
(with or without GNU ;-) if you choose to develop on both Linux and
Windows.  If you choose to use the recommended file system on each
system, which does have a few advantages ;-), then you have to deal
with portability.

Or, you could argue that the REAL problem is developers like the OP
who don't want to think about the problem in their project, and so
label it a VCS bug, and throw it over the fence into the VCS
developers' yard.  No offense intended, but when none of the VCSes on
offer offer a good solution to the problem you should consider the
possibility that maybe reorganizing your project would be a good idea.