Re: [tlug] svn is case sensitive

Hung Nguyen Vu wrote:
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com <mailto:emiddleton@example.com>> wrote:

Well if you have read the FAQ[1] you will know that it is a bug
(i.e. case insensitive case preserving filesystems),

I've read the FAQ page but if I read correctly, they don't admit that it is a bug.

    but not something the subversion developers are in a position to fix.

They provide a precheck script for the problem but it doesn't solve the problem.

Sorry my explanation wasn't vary clear. The problem is that windows filesystems by default[1] does not distinguish between upper and lower case in filenames. i.e. Makefile and makefile point to the same file.

The problem I've metionted in the OP can be reproduced with TortoiseSVN 1.5.0. <http://1.5.0.>
1.5.2 simply checkouts both file, and overwrite Makefile with makefile.

Automatically merging two files that the user has explicitly separated in the repository sounds like a bug not a feature.

Presumably it would also add a dependency on the order in which a file was checked out. i.e. if Makfile is checked out first it would be overwriden by makefile and if makefile is checked out first it would be overwritten by Makefile.

On the other hand makefile was probably added by an insensitive windows user so its probably fair enough that it be overwritten by Makefile ;)

Edward

1. http://www.chilkatsoft.com/p/p_454.asp