Re: [tlug] svn is case sensitive

On 2008-08-21 15:37 +0900 (Thu), Edward Middleton wrote:

> Automatically merging two files that the user has explicitly separated in
> the repository sounds like a bug not a feature.

It doesn't. It fails on the second of the two files and the checkout fails.

Or so it worked last time this happened to me.

On 2008-08-21 15:44 +0900 (Thu), Edward Middleton wrote:

> Edward Middleton wrote:
>> Unnecessary complexity for both the user and implementation was the merit
>> I saw for case-sensitivity.
> That should be "avoiding unnecessary complexity" ;)

Darn! There goes my flamewar! :-)

On 2008-08-21 16:51 +0900 (Thu), Hung Nguyen Vu wrote:

> SVN, as a later comer, should adapt itself with the existing filesystem.

Huh? And do what? Force case-insenstive semantics on all users,
regardless of filesystem? How about also adapting by forcing 8.3
filenames on all users?

> In this case, IMO, SVN should warn and ask it user if he wants to
> replace the Makefile
> or skip over.

Failing because it cannot adequately reproduce a copy of the project
seems reasonable to me. It's not as if you can't rename things without a
checkout, if that's what you want to do.

cjs