Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

> 3. If you can afford to do so, consider coming over on a tourist visa
> (90 days) and looking around for work on the ground. There are a
> couple of decent recruiters subscribed to the list, so if they are
> reading, they should contact you. If not, I'll send you their email
> addresses.

I recommend this method as well. Although it is possible for you to interview over the phone (or VC), most companies will feel much more comfortable if they can meet you in person. On top of that, when a company is looking to fill a position most of the time they are trying to do it right away, so any foreseeable delays or complications is typically not a desirable trait. Being physically present in Tokyo will help quite a bit.

The laws very between countries but I believe with the U.K. you can have 90 days on a tourist visa. There is some risk here because if you don't find work within 30 to 45 days your likely hood of having to leave the country once (and come right back in) is quite high as it typically takes 4 to 8 weeks for the Japanese government to process your visa request.

Note that only the Tokyo immigration office has this "pick up where you left off" power. If I understand correctly, if you try to do this in Osaka or another region, your application will be canceled the moment you leave the country and you will have to re-apply from scratch.

For an engineering visa you need either a university degree related to your field or you need 10 years of experience. Although a little gray, you maybe able to get a different type of visa with a bit more ease.

Did I miss anything?

Cheers,
Sach