Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

Thanks very much to all responders, more than I hoped for :)

Sach Jobb wrote:
3. If you can afford to do so, consider coming over on a tourist
visa (90 days) and looking around for work on the ground. There are
a couple of decent recruiters subscribed to the list, so if they
are reading, they should contact you. If not, I'll send you their
email addresses.

I recommend this method as well. Although it is possible for you to interview over the phone (or VC), most companies will feel much more comfortable if they can meet you in person. On top of that, when a company is looking to fill a position most of the time they are trying to do it right away, so any foreseeable delays or complications is typically not a desirable trait. Being physically present in Tokyo will help quite a bit.

This is certainly possible. I had hoped to do some research, find some likely companies or people to talk to, and if it's not as simple as someone on the other side of the world being overcome by my CV and hiring me on spec (hah), then come back over to Japan and press the flesh / network etc.

The idea of finding a multinational is one I'll look into, I have tended to prefer small companies and steer away from the highly corporate after an unpleasant exposure to things like mission statements and corporate values in a previous job, but that was partly thanks to my role at the time.

The laws very between countries but I believe with the U.K. you can
have 90 days on a tourist visa. There is some risk here because if
you don't find work within 30 to 45 days your likely hood of having
to leave the country once (and come right back in) is quite high as
it typically takes 4 to 8 weeks for the Japanese government to
process your visa request.

Leaving and returning immediately doesn't sound too onerous..

Note that only the Tokyo immigration office has this "pick up where
you left off" power. If I understand correctly, if you try to do this
in Osaka or another region, your application will be canceled the
moment you leave the country and you will have to re-apply from
scratch.

Worth knowing. I am certainly aiming at Tokyo, I have a few friends there already, I like the city and have the impression that Tokyo is "where it's all going on".

For an engineering visa you need either a university degree related
to your field or you need 10 years of experience. Although a little
gray, you maybe able to get a different type of visa with a bit more
ease.

Just to clarify then I have a B.Sc. Honours in compsci (from a British university) which I assume qualifies.
I also have the funds (and inclination!) to come over for 90 days in Tokyo with a view to finding work.

I must update my CV and get it online. I'm sure you could all use a chuckle.

Also, thanks Jun for the info, I will look into those sites and agencies.. Google recruiter? I picked up some Google toys from the guys at AsiaBSDCon this year, maybe you were there?

Thanks again for the pointers all. And I'll keep working on the language.

--
Jon Povey
jon@example.com