Re: [tlug] Re: [Was: iptables] Forward multicats

On 2008-06-19 21:34 +0900 (Thu), Bruno Raoult wrote:

> Just to compile the solutions (and my final remarks), I can find:

You did leave out a couple of other factors in your summary. One is what
you learn from doing it one way or another, which I'm suspecting you may
care about. I can't evaluate that for you. Another is how much time you
spend, which I can evaulate, though whether spending more time is good
or bad depends on how much fun it is.

> 1) Use Bridging

Medium amount of time. It's not hard to set up the briding itself, but
you also have to spend time tracking down a card that will work in
promiscuious mode, making sure you have the right drivers, etc.

> 2) Use normal routing

Probably a fairly low amount of time. Beyond the routing setup, you have
to go out and buy a router, though pretty much any common one will do,
set it up, which should be fast and easy, and re-train your wife, which
also should not take long for the operations you described. (She needs
to do the same thing she does now, just with a slightly different user
interface.)

> 3) True NAT

This could take quite a lot of work, as there are a lot of subtlties you
have to deal with here, and even there, some stuff may just not work at
all; you probably won't be able to emulate true bridging.

Oh, one more option, taking even less time, is to get a new router
and move the storage device onto one of the LAN ports on that router,
eliminating the need for routing or bridging on the Linux box.

cjs