Re: [tlug] government getting ready to inspect your iPod, laptop without warrant

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 05:53 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> 2008/5/30 scott <scott@example.com>:
>
> > So preemptively how about multiboot systems that don't display the
> > choices during boot?
>
> Good idea.
>
> > There must be some grub hack where you can press
> > <ctl><alt><F8> or something during the boot to give you an alternative
> > OS.
>
> Dunno, but you could always have grub timeout on 1 and autoboot the
> first OS right before you travel. You know how to stop grub, I doubt a
> customs official would. Especially if you name your real boot option
> "safe mode" or some such.

Could do what I do with my desktop (for some laptops.  This probably
won't work with an ipod).  There are two physical disks.  I have to hit
the esc button durring the boot sequence and select to boot from the
second disk if I want it to boot into windows.  :P  This way if grub
finds a fatal bug and eats the big one, only one OS is effected.  Same
goes for if the Windows Loader does the same. One disk going down is not
going to take everyone else with him.  :P

As to how this pertains to the topic at hand, make sure the default OS
is spotless clean.  I mean, keep enough harmless documents on it, and
updated for it to look like you use the thing even if they decide to
right click on a few files and check the access/change dates.  :P  Even
put an NTFS partition on the linux drive.  20GB should be more than
enough to fool them.  :P

Unless they really WANT to catch someone that day, they are not going to
dig far enough to get past the masks.  Security by obscurity does
actuallywork on occasion.

---
Ken