Re: [tlug] Re: Updating iconv tables

2008/6/13 Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com>:

Hi

> OK, Bruno has replied pointing out "EUC-JISX0213" is what should be used
> as the iconv indicator for JIS X 0213 codepoints. I'm going to have to
> work on this one a bit, but don't go grumbling on bug-gnu-libiconv@example.com
> after all.

Thanks for the update Jim.

For those of you who are bitten by this, here's a workaround.

Perl has since 5.8 very good character encoding support and this works
on both FreeBSD 6.2 and Mac OS X 10.5 (both with Perl 5.8.8) for me:

cat edict | perl -e 'binmode(STDIN, ":encoding(euc-jp)");
binmode(STDOUT, ":utf8"); print while <STDIN>' > edict.utf8

And in the spirit of TMTOWTDI and golfing, here's a shorter one:

cat edict | perl -mencoding=eucjp,STDOUT,utf8 -pe1 > edict.utf8

Cheers,
Kim