Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:47:11AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Scott Robbins writes:
>

> Oh, I think you're in good shape, then.  In my wife's house, "hakase"
> is the equivalent of "Stephen John Turnbull" in my mother's.[1]  You know
> you're in big trouble when the sound of your own name is the knell of
> doom.[2]

Old Murphy Brown line, from Frank.  "You've gotta give him a middle
name. Else, how will he know when he's in trouble?"

> Footnotes:
> [1]  My house?  Me, I'm just a renter.  It's like the old one about
> the new simplified 1040:
>
>     1.  How much did you make last year?                    _____
>     2.  Send it to the address at the bottom of the form.

I could almost swear that's from a Dave Barry column, but wouldn't bet
money on it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Oh. Okay. You and Willow go do the superpower thing, I'll
stay behind and putt around the Batcave with crusty old Alfred
here.
Giles: Ah-ah, no. I am no Alfred, sir. No, you forget. Alfred had
a job.