Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

Edward Middleton wrote:

Well if we are talking about this sort of technology then you are getting into areas covered, or potentially covered by Japanese export controls, because there are military applications for the technology. [1]Yamaha got caught for export control violations for exporting robot controlled helicopters to China.

Yes, and the centrifuges to Iran, and the Mitsutoyo measuring devices to North Korea, and the fine grain mills to Iran by Mitsui Bussan, and the Toshiba mills that produce propellers that give no cavitation sounds and can make nuclear submarines almost invisible to sonar ...

Hence the structure of my first post in which I separated out economic from strategic issues. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough ... but I'd intended to cover it in toto in the final paragraph of that message ...

--
CL