Re: [tlug] [ot] Windows 7

I don't really see much point in bothering with the new office formats.  There are more applications that support odt than docx.  :P

Also, their open formats are xml based and end up taking up a lot more space than the binary formats used by normal .doc and .xls.

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Ian Barwick <barwick@example.com> wrote:
2008/5/14 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
(...)

>  In other late-breaking news, they are telling faculty and staff who
>  use MS Office to avoid the .docx/.xlsx file formats because there are
>  far too many users who can't handle them.

.xslx has led to a spate of OpenOffice.org installations at the place
where I work, as it will have a game stab at opening this format
(usually quite well, as 90% of the "Excel" files being exchanged are
just pretty documents in table format - in stark contrast to the
standard MS Office installations, which claim no knowledge of it.