Re: [tlug] [ot] Windows 7

steven smith writes:

 > It seems strange they're hyping the next OS when they can't
 > sell the one they're pushing now.

I believe you're old enough to remember "New Coke", eh?  I'm sure that
the "Bill and Steve Show" knew that Vista was going to bomb badly by
the time they released it; they're just hoping they can survive until
the next major release.

 > Last I read, they're thinking about not stopping shipments on June
 > 30 of XP.

Apropos of this, I just got mail from UC Santa Cruz's ITS group saying
that Windows Vista *is not* supported, they *strongly* recommend
sticking to XP, Dell at least *will* be selling XP-installed boxen
until 2010/12/31, and as of May 31 "qualified" users with "specific
need" will be able to call on ITS for Vista support, but ITS is
obviously not happy about the prospect.

In other late-breaking news, they are telling faculty and staff who
use MS Office to avoid the .docx/.xlsx file formats because there are
far too many users who can't handle them.