[tlug] A different Kubuntu 8.04: firefox 3 beta 5 and 2.0.014 disaster

Borrowing and modifying Gernot's Subject line as I have a new but sort of related problem.

I finally figured out that the cause of all of my sorrow with the Firefox installation you get with your upgrade to X/K/Ubuntu 8.04 is that it is v.3 beta 5. Almost none of my Add-ons run on it, nor does my Theme. So, I installed Firefox 2.0.0.14 -- which Kubuntu calls "Firefox-2" and set it up the way I wanted. I put a Firefox-2 icon in my start panel and buried the icon and link to Firefox 3 in a sub- sub-menu.

In Thunderbird, I edited my prefs.js file as follows:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox-2");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox-2");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox-2");

Except ... when I used a link, v.3 beta 5 popped up and killed all of the add-ons ind themes in 2.0.0.14 that do not also work in the newer version.

in /usr/bin/ there are executables named Firefox, Firefox-2, and Firefox-3.0. Clicking the icon when in Dolphin gets me v.3 beta 5 for both Firefox and Firefox-3.0. Clicking Firefox-2 gets me 2.0.0.14.

So, it appears that I am specifying the correct executable ... or am I? What else what I might need to change to get Thunderbird to call 2.0.0.14 and NOT v.3 beta 5?

--
CL