[tlug] ubuntu 8.04: firefox 3 beta 5 and 2.0.014 bookmark disaster

Hello,

On my work machine FF3b5 and FF2.0.0.14 were crashing repeatedly, and
I ended up using --ProfileManager to create new profiles while keeping
my previous session as default user intact. Unfortunately, I have lost
all my bookmarks which are now stored in a .json file. This file can
be read in a text editor so I can see my previous bookmarks, but
neither FF3b5 nor 2.0.0.14 will read the darned thing if I try to
import it with the bookmarks tools. I do not know which version of FF
saved the JSON file since both 3b5 and 2.0.0.14 were accessing the
same default profile and bookmarks. I do know that there is a
difference in the JSON files created with these versions, and
presumably they are incompatible. Grrr...

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get FF to read such a file, or
would the fastest course of action be to write a script that generates
a feasible bookmarks file from the JSON one?

Many thanks in advance,
Gernot