Re: [tlug] Multiple Domains - Apache

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 08:34:51 Deepan wrote:
> 	I am serving two domains from the same machine
> using Apache. I want www to be used in both of the
> domains, hence I redirect  urls without www to
> appropriate urls with www.

I would suggest using Redirect instead of RewriteEngine.  For example:

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName www.domaina.com
	ServerAdmin webmaster@example.com
	DocumentRoot /var/www/domaina/
	<Directory /var/www/domaina/>
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
		Order Allow,Deny
		Allow from All
	</Directory>
	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/domaina.error.log
	LogLevel warn
	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/domaina.access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName domaina.com
	Redirect permanent / http://www.domaina.com/
</VirtualHost>

Then make a copy for the second domain.  With your cursor on the last line in
vi:
:1,.y
:.,$s/domaina/domainb/

Some people have suggested the use of ServerAlias.  Note, however, that this
causes the same content to be served for both addresses, not a redirect,
which is what you said that you want (and is usually a better practice).  If
you had a .org domain that you wanted to redirect as well, though, then
ServerAlias would be used.  The second VirtualHost above would become the
following:

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName domaina.com
	ServerAlias www.domaina.org