[tlug] Chocolates for Stephen

Here's an interesting article:

  http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/04/xemacs-is-dead-long-live-xemacs.html

Let anybody get the wrong idea, I'm not finding the proposed
euthanization of XEmacs so interesting, though I'd be interested in
hearing thoughts on it, and it's certainly a good flame war seed for a
slow day.

But in the middle he throws out a few fascinating ideas about an
environment being "self-hosting," and (warming the cockles of my heart)
finds yet more problems with IDEs. And his comments on the need for
decent rendering, a la Firefox, and perhaps a VM, make a lot of sense
to me.

His note, "To be sure, Emacs, the current crop of popular scripting
languages, and other modestly self-hosting environments are all pretty
far from achieving self-reinforcing performance." That makes me wonder
if perhaps Yi ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_%28editor%29 ) might be
the editor of the future: "Specifically, Yi is implemented as a small
executable program which compiles through GHC the larger body of code
which actually constitutes a useful editor."

cjs