Re: [tlug] Kernel panic

Edward Wright wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:36:23PM +0900, Brian Chandler wrote:
SL Baur wrote:
On 4/22/08, Brian Chandler <brian@example.com> wrote:
mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic 2.6.22-14-generic
Plenty (gigabytes) of space, so I deleted the empty file. Then /bin/sh says it can't find mkinitrd.

Dunno about Ubuntu, but in my Debian Etch it's been replaced with "yaird"

You might see if you've got that.

/bin/sh: can't find yaird

Thanks, but it doesn't look as though that is it. I found other ubuntu questions being answered with reference to mkinitrd, so I'm guessing it should be somewhere.

---

Among several thousand other things, I don't understand quite what is going on when I "boot from the CD". Obviously the CD bootstrap installs a Linux kernel, and gets (not quite) everything working. But presumably I am the root user in the shell it gives me? Yet it seems that the users referred to in the file system "ought" to be somehow different from any users associated with the version of the OS installed from the CD... (or something - perhaps this question doesn't make sense, in which case it's better ignored)

Brian Chandler