Re: [tlug] Kernel panic

Attila Kinali writes:

 > Err... The inability to understand the system one is working
 > with is no excuse to give very dangerouse advices.
 > Updates _are_absolutely_necessary_ to keep your system safe.

Eh?

First, neither the OP nor the people he is quoting are distinguishing
between *security updates* and *major system upgrades*, and the OP at
least is clearly in a context of the latter.  Those are actually
openly hazardous, since they typically introduce new functionality to
your system.

Second, security updates are merely a convenience in keeping your
system safe.  The only thing that can really keep a system safe is
operator vigilance.  I don't care how consistent you are about keeping
updated, you can't stay ahead of what the vendors don't know about yet.

 > Otherwise you'll catch sooner or later a worm, or someone hacks
 > into your system and misuses it for hacking other system or sending
 > spam.

Do you have evidence for this claim?  If you don't run any network
services, you won't catch a worm for sure.  Trojans are a problem, but
no security update can prevent a user bent on executing a trojan from
doing so.  Linux viruses are legion, but I've not heard of any that
managed to propagate in the wild (I'm no expert, but you'd think it
would be pretty famous if it did happen).  As for getting hacked, I've
not heard of successful attacks on properly configured (ie, no access
by password) sshd, either.