Re: [tlug] Kernel panic

Brian Chandler wrote:
<snip>
A little Ubuntubox popped up and said "Updates? You want updates?"
> so I clicked it.

What actually happened after that is unclear, but the system crashed, and I just rebooted it. I imagine that something basic, unrelated to whatever the specific update was, got written back wrong, or failed to get written back right.

But the end result is that the system is dead. I understand that in trying to boot itself Linux can't find the whateveritis on the hard disk,....

I found out a bit more. The Ubuntu docs say that the installer is "not designed" to reinstall the whole operating system over the same partition, because this is almost never necessary.

Anyway, the boot message I am getting says "... unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)." If I boot from the cdrom I can see the files and stuff in /dev/sda1, which I believe is (hd0,0) in grub, and the relevant lines from the grub menu.lst file are as follows:

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=3840d4c7-3e25-4344-8adb-3d3e6107b8ff ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=3840d4c7-3e25-4344-8adb-3d3e6107b8ff ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

title		Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

What should I look at next?

Meanwhile, I would be grateful for advice, *particularly* from non-gurus on the best approach to avoiding spending whole days just trying to do something I known nothing about. Does anyone know anything about paid support services - Canonical and so on? Or anything obvious that I have missed. Thanks.

Brian Chandler