Re: [tlug] Kana-Problems

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 07:06:12AM +0900, Josh wrote:
>  > On 21/04/2008, Niels Kobschaetzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >

> > If you don't have time to follow changelogs, then you almost certainly
>  > don't have time to fix a system when a blind update hoses it, right?
>  >
>  > So stop blindly updating.
>
>  At least read /usr/ports/UPDATING.  FreeBSD usually--not always--gets
>  most of the gotchas.  Then if some minor port breaks something, it can
>  often be solved with a quick, respectful note to the maintainer.

Learned something new but previously in the thread it was mentioned
that fontconfig might have broken my system and I searched now
UPDATING for it and there's nothign mentioned about fontconfig or
webfonts anywhere (and deinstalling webfonts solved the problem).

>  > >  I do not really expect an update of ports to break my system.
>  >
>  > Then adjust your expectations.

Actually, it seems that I have to adjust my habits and not my
expectations. I expect that I have to pay in time for what I didn't
pay in money but I can expect that stuff is tested before it is
released into the "wild" (maybe a -devel-port for every package?).

>  Josh is right on here.  It's highly recommended that one subscribes to
>  the mailing list for your release, e.g., STABLE and just keep an eye on
>  what's going on.

I'll do that -- but that has more to do with the habit-stuff than the
expectations.

<snip handling port-updates via pkg_replace>

I'll take that into account and will see how it works out. Right now
I'm using portsnap and portmanager for updates.

Niels