Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:15:18PM -0700, SL Baur wrote:
>> I'm almost willing to give up rpm compatibility if I get something in
>> return.  I still
>> remember the horror of Storm Linux and trying to remove a package in apt and
>> having 2/3 of my packages removed at the same time.
>
> Noooo problem, Fedora can do that.  Remove wireless-tools and watch it
> take away most KDE programs--oh, sorry, I thought you meant that was a
> good thing.  :)
>
> Ubuntu probably suffers from the same problem, though I really don't
> know.  We have a bunch of Ubuntu-ites on here, so hopefully, someone
> can give a better answer.

One example:

$ sudo apt-get remove libx11-6
[sudo] password for evan:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
[snip 20 lines of package names]
The following packages will be REMOVED
  aalib1 abiword-gnome acpi-support adobereader-enu alacarte anki
[snip 100 lines of package names]
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 864 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 2997MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

So yes, Ubuntu still suffers from this "bug".

Evan