Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
I didn't realize extensions came in other formats; all the ones i use come as *.xpi. There are one or two that i can't install directly through the https://addons.mozilla.org site; i have to download first and then open them from the hard drive. But even those are *.xpi, and i've had to go through the download-and-then-open rigamarole on other operating systems too, so i don't think it is a Debian packaging issue.
I knew there were a couple of different packaging options. What surprised me was that not all of them are usable in Iceweasel and none of the traditional workarounds changed a single thing.

There is a particular Theme I prefer as it exactly accommodates all of
my Toolbar Folder bookmarks on one line and allows me to combine all
other toolbars into a single line. Despite having Tabs turned on, it
yields a significant amount of vertical real estate.

That sounds useful. Mind if i ask what theme it is?
The theme name is "Outlook 2003" (hope no one panics over that) and there is a Silver, Blue, and Green version. The designer is a German who has used a very readable sans-serif typeface that has more vertical and less horizontal space use than Arial or Helvetica yet looks clean. Using the Options function, I was able to pull the location and Google search bar windows up next to the menus on their right and insert the icons on the left. His Icon spacing is much better than a lot of other "Compact" layouts. No crowding or jamming things in and, despite the number of items on a single line, everything is still clear and readable.

So, I was able to get everything from the usual 2~3 lines into one, have the Bookmarks Toolbar just below that, and my Tabs on the third line. I eliminated two lines from the traditional window setup. I don't use Google or Yahoo toolbar so I didn't have to give up much, there.

I didn't realize Iceweasel came with those extensions. I actually use both of them, but installed them myself into my profile.
I use them as well, but I have some settings of my own. Iceweasel didn't seem to think that I knew something their developers didn't ... or didn't think was more useful in certain situations.

I installed them quite awhile ago though; perhaps it was before they were included as standard. I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression, however, that very few extentions come bundled with the Iceweasel package itself.
Check Control Center. You'll see quite a bit of "opportunity" to set up things that you'd normally have set up within Firefox.
Most of those i could kill if i cared to; i use dom-inspector and webdeveloper only very seldom, don't run Gnome, and learning to use Greasemonkey is on my long-term todo list (meaning, by the time i get around to it the sun might have already burned out).
My todo list is in no way a reflection of reality, either.

--
CL