Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

On Sunday 13 April 2008 23:33, CL wrote:
>One of the main reasons for dumping Debian in the first place was total
>dissatisfaction with Iceweasel and Icedove; both of which are too many
>generations behind and don't allow me to install a number of updates
>and add-ons that have become conventions for me in other OSes.

May i ask what version you run? I don't use Icedove, but i do use Debian
Etch and Iceweasel is at 2.0.0.13, which is the same version of Firefox
that is available for download from mozilla.com. Running the latest
generally available version doesn't seem so far out of date to me. Do
you prefer the 3.0 betas? I'm eagerly awaiting 3.0 (mostly because it
supposedly fixes the worst of the massive memory leaks), but haven't
felt the need to test it myself yet.

I've also never had trouble installing add-ons, with the possible
exception that getting Flash installed on a 64-bit machine required
some extra packages to deal with a 64-bit browser running a 32-bit
plug-in. Debian's package management has a small number of extensions
available directly, but i just install most of the ones i use in my
~/.mozilla profile using Iceweasel itself.