Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

On Monday 14 April 2008 21:43, CL wrote:
>One of the first issues I encounter trying to use Iceweasel is
>that you can't download add-ons or themes unless they are in *.xpi
>format.

I didn't realize extensions came in other formats; all the ones i use
come as *.xpi. There are one or two that i can't install directly
through the https://addons.mozilla.org site; i have to download first
and then open them from the hard drive. But even those are *.xpi, and
i've had to go through the download-and-then-open rigamarole on other
operating systems too, so i don't think it is a Debian packaging issue.

>There is a particular Theme I prefer as it exactly accommodates all of
>my Toolbar Folder bookmarks on one line and allows me to combine all
>other toolbars into a single line.  Despite having Tabs turned on, it
>yields a significant amount of vertical real estate.

That sounds useful. Mind if i ask what theme it is?

>Iceweasel has a number of add-on programs included as standard, such
> as Ad Block, but I get weird or broken implementation of the standard
> parameters I prefer to use when Iceweasel "handles" (sic) it.  Same
> for NoScript.

I didn't realize Iceweasel came with those extensions. I actually use
both of them, but installed them myself into my profile. I installed
them quite awhile ago though; perhaps it was before they were included
as standard. I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression, however,
that very few extentions come bundled with the Iceweasel package
itself. I have several extra iceweasel packages installed on my
machine:
    iceweasel
    iceweasel-dom-inspector
    iceweasel-gnome-support
    iceweasel-greasemonkey
    iceweasel-webdeveloper
Most of those i could kill if i cared to; i use dom-inspector and
webdeveloper only very seldom, don't run Gnome, and learning to use
Greasemonkey is on my long-term todo list (meaning, by the time i get
around to it the sun might have already burned out).