Re: [tlug] Kernel/device/FS boot problem

David J Iannucci wrote:
I wonder if anyone here can provide a clue to get me moving in the
right direction on a problem I'm having.  I've got Gentoo installed on
my new Lenovo Thinkpad X61 tablet.  I'm trying to rebuild the kernel
(to latest version 2.6.24-r4), and I think I've got everything included
in it that should be there, but when I boot, it crashes halfway through
with this message:

  VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or unknown-block(0,0)
  Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
  partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
  on unknown-block(0,0)

My advice would be to use genkernel to setup the kernel and initrd boot. If you do this then you will be able to boot to a limited shell to debug even if you can't find the driver for the root filesystem. I have found this very useful while debugging encrypted root filesystems on lvm on raid1 setup.

Edward