Re: [tlug] The 11th Commandment

On 10/04/2008, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> Yes I was just trying to Jerk your chain.  That being said, this is a
> reason I don't try to get too religious about Unicode.  For all its
> goodness it isn't supported as universally at the client end as the
> local encodings, in any given language.  Which means you end up being
> forced to choose between good standards or good client support.

There is an important distinction between being "religious" and being
pragmatic; I am advocating the latter. Using Unicode internally allows
you to easily handle clients that do not grok UTF-8 (which non-secular
Unicoders would designate "b0rk3n") by converting to their charset
right before you output it. This approach also confers the bonus of
allowing you to disregard completely the details of the target
encoding; you can just consider it a black box and be done with it.

> This[1] is the post Josh was referring to.
> 1. http://tlug.jp/ML/0707/msg01264.html

Yes, that is the one. Thanks for tracking it down.

--
Cheers,
Josh