Re: [tlug] Building a Linux machine

Joe Rodrigue wrote:
Hi, I want to put together a Linux desktop system to use at work for
writing programs, with ordinary sound and video capability and
perhaps extra RAM.  Unfortunately there may be restrictions
on where I can get it, unless I want to pay for it myself.

2. I may have to simply build the thing myself. Any suggestions
for hardware for a basic machine, suppliers, or pointers to people
who like to talk about this? I am trying to come in under Y100,000.
It's easy to get in cheap and, when the hook is set, you can upgrade later. When I decided to learn Linux I picked up a year-old P4 IBM / Lenovo ThinkCentre from Otto. I replaced the 80Gb drive with a 355Gb one and expanded the memory to 2Gb. IBM's on board video and audio (Intel) are more than adequate for business and an occasional You Tube. I think I have about Yen 19,000 in the box. I didn't need a screen, keyboard, or mouse as I have a CPU switcher and just use keyboard commands to move back and forth.
I am in Sakai (near Osaka) if that makes a difference. Thanks.
There is a reputable Otto or Otto-like PC recycler in Nipponbashi. It is / was located on the main road but you had to enter the building from the side street and the shop itself was on an upper floor. I haven't been there in about six months so can't say for certain that it is still in business. The nice thing about Otto is that you can take the box out of the shop and bring it back for a credit if it doesn't work as advertised.

My advice is to devote part of a Saturday finding what is available locally by walking around the area. There have always been a lot of small shops off the main road and in the upper floors of backstreet buildings where there are a lot of uncatalogued good deals in and around Nipponbashi.

--
CL