Re: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks (was: linux: it's becoming ubiquitous)

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:36:46 +0900
scott <scott@example.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 01:27 -0700, SL Baur wrote:
> > On 3/31/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not talking about customization, I'm talking about Microsoft Word,
> > >  which is deservedly the most popular editor in the world.
> >
> > "Deservedly"?  (Head explodes, blood and brains splash all
> > over the screen ....  NO CARRIER)
>
> This made me laugh out loud. I agree- I never thought Word was all that
> user friendly anyway after using word perfect during my formative years
> (remember that software?). Also, is word the most popular editor? Not
> saying that it isn't, but in Japan, everyone was using that
> incomprehensible ichitaro forever, not sure about other countries but
> perhaps they have and still use something similar. I think the only
> reason Word got so popular was because of the success of Windows 95 and
> 98 in the workplace at the expense of lotus and those other
> alternatives, not necessarily because it is in itself better software.
> But then again, it might just be de gustibus..

About that I suggest you reading "In Search of Stupidity. Over Twenty Years of High Tech Marketing Disasters" from Merrill R. Chapman. It has quite good explanations why e.g. Word got so popular (and other solutions couldn't stand up).

Niels

--
Jammern: http://jammern.wordpress.com
Alles Suppe: http://nielsk.soup.io