Re: [tlug] [Reminder] TLUG BML in honour of Tobias Diedrich @ Tue Apr 8 1:30pm - 3:30pm (Tokyo Linux Users Group)

Josh Glover wrote:
On 07/04/2008, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

OK, but what does Google calendar offer that email or posting on the site
or even putting an iCalendar file on the web site doesn't? and why is
Google calendar better then alternative web based calendaring services?

Well, we *should* have an RSS feed with all of our events, and we *should* post an .ics file on the site, but Google Calendar offers the following advantages:

1. It is easy
2. It is free
3. It is ubiquitous
4. We can add "informal" or one-off events, like today's BML and not
clutter up the site
5. (best of all) It does not stop us from doing RSS or ICS, but allows
us to get set up quickly

OK, great, but as you are prosing everyone use Google Calendar it needs to be justified and the above answers apply equally well to email.

After going over the Google Calendar site these are the answers I have been able to come up with.

Questions 1. but what does Google calendar offer that email or posting on the site
or even putting an iCalendar file on the web site doesn't?

1. Allows our events to be included in Google public event search. (if we publish an iCalendar or rss file on the site, couldn't it be picked up by Google public event search).
2. Allows us to embed a Google calendar in the TLUG web page.
3. Allows creation of iCal/XML rss feeds whatever that means.
3. Allows seamless integration with other Google services.

Question 2. why is Google calendar better then alternative web based calendaring services?

No idea, Anyone?

Question 3. How many people would actually use this?

At least
 Matt Gross
 Josh Glover
 David Shanahan
 SL Baur

Potential problems.

1. How do we manage users.  If we don't then couldn't this be used to spam.  If we do then how are users who are just subscribed to the list going to post one off events.

2. Its a beta, i.e. subject to change without notice.

3. Google seems to offer an add to calendar button that you can use on your website to add events to Google calendars but is there any way to add a button to allow Google events to be added to alternative calendaring services, or directly downloaded. e.g. can we include an add to yahoo calendars link if events are managed in Google calendars?

Cheers,

Edward