Re: [tlug] recommendations for user friendly CMS (with VMware?)

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for the advice. It's nice to have people to bounce
ideas off and hear your suggestions, so I do really appreciate it.

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 13:19 +0900, Mike Mazur wrote:
> Performance is good, though it depends on the host machine somewhat.
> We recently moved the VMs from a DELL 1850 to a new DELL 2950[1]. On
> the 1850 the Java-based JIRA[2] bug tracking system we use was
> noticeably sluggish, but not anymore. I wonder how Plone compares to
> JIRA in terms of consuming resources.
>
> RAM is important, then disk space, CPU not so much for web applications.

I'm planning on using a somewhat older dell poweredge 6650 as the host.
Fortunately a new server arrived today, so I can migrate the files and
then dedicate this older machine to serve as our webserver. Should be
able to allocate at least 3 gigs RAM to the VM.

Of course, best case scenario would be just installing Centos directly
onto this old server skipping vmware entirely, but the problem is our
"corporate policy" demands that all servers be hardened versions of
W2003 advanced server, so basically I'm using vmware so I can say that
I'm following policy, to an extent. Sure it's W2003. Just never mind the
O.S. behind the curtain ;-) Then if the corporate office throws a fit
over it later we can just remove the offending OS and (blech) revert to
IIS.

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 13:43 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

> Why not Xen? Wouldn't it perform better than VMware for this kind of
thing?

Agreed..

> And if you don't need the resource controls, a chroot jail is a nice
> way to keep apps from stepping on each other's toes.

Again, this would be ideal..

Anyway thanks again for the tips everyone. I can't tell you how happy I
am to finally be able to sneak some Linux into my day job. Power to the
penguins.

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen
Tokyo