Re: [tlug] Gnome vs. KDE? BSD vs. Linux?

On 20/03/2008, Niels Kobschaetzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:

> Well, I'm not much of a fan of XFce and iirc it breaks the theming of
>  qt-apps even more than gnome - or is this just a matter of gtk and qt
>  and there shouldn't be a difference in this point (I'm quite optical
>  and I do not really like it when the theming is broken and buttons and
>  stuff does not look right).

XFCE should have nothing to do with it. KDE apps use the KDE
preferences / themes engine regardless of your WM / Desktop
Environment. If you are mixing KDE apps with GNOME (which will use the
GNOME prefs / themes), you deserve what you get. ;)

>  I wanted to try first how usable Gnome or KDE is before I use XFce.

OpenBox is an excellent choice if you don't need drag and drop and
taskbars and all of that CPU cycle-consuming garbage.

>  But with those too, I would be interested if there are any perceptible
>  differences for the end-user. I know that KDE shows me all options
>  while Gnome hides a lot of stuff for trying to be user-friendly. But
>  is there anything else?

XFCE, then the *Box window managers, Window Maker, tvwm, and a bunch
of other lighter-wight ones.

--
Cheers,
Josh