Re: [tlug] Gnome vs. KDE? BSD vs. Linux?

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:23:06 +0100, "Niels Kobschaetzki"
<n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:

> Can someone sum up the most important differences between Gnome and KDE?

If you're considering using an old laptop then the differences between
Gnome and KDE are irrelevant since both will bring the machine to its knees.

As others have opined, XFCE strikes a very good balance between usability
and bloat. I've used it for years now, keeping my old PII-300 laptop nice
and responsive.

This said, I do have the KDE libraries installed all the same because there
are a few KDE applications that I like using. Konsole for one...

> And what about the (did)advantages of the BSD-derivates compared to
> Linux on an old PIII-laptop?

If you mean from an end-user's perspective then I suspect that the various
GNU/Linux distributions are maybe a little bit more user-friendly than the
*BSD offerings. BSD documentation, though, runs circles around GNU/Linux
documentation. At least that is my experience from using various FreeBSD
versions.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

                -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759