Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On 3/16/08, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

> Sorry to destroy your dreams, but that's not true.
>  Unless you are prepared to port all software you use
>  to the new OS (resp base system) you are running
>  (which is ever changing because it's OSS).
>
>  Eg. just try to compile some software that wasn't touched
>  since 2000 or so. You'll have a hard time, believe me.

Eh?  I'm currently working with software at work that hasn't been
touched in much longer than that.  What "new system" are you referring
to?

Umm, I still use XEmacs 21.1 at work (which is the default XEmacs
they supply) and the one I released in 1999 before a crowd of
(cheering, lol) emacs and other open source developers at the 1999
m17n conference in Tsukuba.

Turnbull-sensei was there.  XEmacs 21.1 still rocks, after a decade.

It doesn't take very much reading of lkml to know what Linus (may the Goddess
bless and guide him) has to say about folks who break user-space APIs.
It's not kind.

And your point is?

-sb