Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On 3/15/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> SL Baur writes:
>
>   > It's defined yes, but what does your system do when you run the script:
>   >
>   > #! /bin/sh
>   > echo foo ^ bar
>

> chibi:git-staging steve$ echo foo ^ bar
>  foo ^ bar
>  chibi:git-staging steve$
>

>   > The correct answer probably is that you see "bar: not found".  Do
>   > you know why?
>

> I don't know but will hazard a guess: buggy history expansion.  man is
>  such a wonderful resource. :-)

You should have taken your own advice, Steve-san.

The `^' is an ancient (pre-Version 7) usage of the pipe symbol in sh.
Proper shells, including ksh, respect scripts containing `^' to mean `|'
when they are invoked as /bin/sh.

This is only one example of my argument on sh <-> IE congruence.

-sb (Microsoft Windows 7, where Unix was when it was Version 7, 30 years ago)