Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On 3/14/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> (Aside: you don't want to argue sh with a man who once wrote a BASIC
>  interpreter in that language, and retained a shred of sanity.)

Heh.  Tis true.  It could do floating point math, had single step, trace
and debugging, used a tiny helper program written in yacc to do
the floating point as a coprocess and ed as a coprocess to handle
the BASIC source.  All of the line editing functions were available
and it only took me less than a man week to do.   Performance was
only so-so, but hey, this was 1987ish.  I did it all on my home Unix
box, editing the source with Emacs 18.56ish, which I had to hack
myself because undump didn't work out of the box.  POSIX Shells
rule!  Freedom rocks!

I let that one out to the wild, but I"m not sure any copies still exist. :(

-sb