Re: [tlug] Acid drop on mobile?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:29:19 +0900, "David Shanahan" <david@example.com>
wrote:

> However if you do use far forward Expires headers you may need to update
> the URL (filename) whenever the content changes to avoid having clients
> use stale versions.

That is one gripe I have with Internet Explorer.

When authoring web content I do something standards-compliant and then
check that IE doesn't break it too badly. That process involves editing CSS
files (IE's flawed box model and inability to center, anyone?) and
reloading the page.

Any changes to the HTML are refreshed no problem, but a CSS file linked to
in the HTML is *not* refreshed, even if it is reported as newer than the
cached copy, so you have to go delete the cached file manually each time
you update it.

The alternative is, as you say, to change the filename each time you make a
change, and that's almost as time-consuming as deleting the offending data
from the cache, not to mention a potential source of screwups if you forget
to change the href in all the other files linking to that CSS!

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Computers do what you tell them to do, not necessarily what you want
them to do.