Re: [tlug] Reinstalling ALSA from source? Anybody tried?

On 木, 2008-01-24 at 16:41 +0900, scott wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>  I've just installed Centos5.1 on a Toshiba M500 laptop, but I'm
> having some problems with alsa. Some quick info about this system:
>
> kernel: 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen
> lspci audio hardware: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G
> (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
>  The problem: alsamixer is missing the headphone and front faders so
> there is no sound, and no way to unmute the nonexistent faders. Using
> alsaunmute I can set Master and PCM volumes, but still no sound from
> speakers or headphones.

I have this problem each time I install a new system. Apparently, if you
don't include OSS compatibility, you don't get the mixer and other basic
sound devices. (I never do this at first, because OSS is
``deprecated.'') Unfortunately, I can't tell you what to do with CentOS
to fix it. In Gentoo, I do USE="oss" emerge alsa-driver. Can't really
tell what the oss use-flag does, though.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR