Re: [tlug] [OT] Any electricians / electrical engineers around?

Godwin, Daniel,

Thank you for your help.

I've been looking at Godwin's diagram for a while, and I think it's both tantalizingly close to my ability to make it, and yet just a little too far.

I think I understand how to organize Godwin's schematic in terms of which parts go where.

What I'm unclear about is how I construct the board on which they go. The ones I saw in Akihabara all had copper on one side and holes through it. I don't get how those are used without connecting everything to everything and shorting out the system.

I have a vague notion that chemical etching is used, but that starts to get into a level of electronics design that is above me, not least because I only have a soldering gun.

So I guess I'm asking another basic question... what kind of mounting surface should I look for that gives me the best balance between versatility and ease of construction. Ultimately I want to cut it into some kind of circle.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G