[tlug] first impressions of Firefox 3

Fedora already has firefox 3 beta in testing, so I gave it a try.  I
backed up ~/.mozilla and gave it a try.

(Note that it will do things to your ~/.mozilla, so if you are just
testing, then defintely do the backup of ~/.mozilla.)

For Fedora folks
yum --enablerepo=development upgrade firefox

Otherwise, there's a tarball available at mozilla's site.
http://en.www.mozilla.com/en/firefox/all-beta.html

Flash and pdf plugins worked. I haven't yet tried mplayer.  In Fedora's
firefox, java has always been iffy for me, and still is. I'm using their
ice tea version since I need it infrequently.

At any rate, what really impressed me was that doing time firefox and
time opera showed that for the first time, it actually used less
resources than opera.   It is a beta, so there will be bugs, but figured
I'd mention it for those who are interested.  It is much faster than
previous versions.

This might not hold true for everyone--I mentioned it to Godwin who
tried it and wrote me back about 20 minutes later that he was restoring
Firefox 2.  :-(.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Mom, the only way you get a new slayer is if the old
slayer dies.
Joyce: Then that means you... When did you die? You never told me
you died.
Buffy: It was just for a few minutes.