Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

Drew Hamilton wrote:

I hadn't twigged to the "no backlight" problem before I read this one ...

It's not supposed to have a backlight. The point of the e-ink display is that it's supposed to very closely mimic the look of paper, and regular books have no backlight. I think this is probably the reason that I can read books on an e-ink display for hours without my eyes getting tired.

In that respect, perhaps it has mimicked a real book just a little too well. It means that you need a good outside light source to make it readable. Which is, I suppose good news for those companies that make the little clip on LED lamps for reading in bed without waking your SO ... and battery makers.

--
CL