Re: [tlug] xml to pdf

Darren Cook <darren@example.com>, 2007-10-02 13:47 +0900:

> I've got an xml file, of API documentation, and I need to make it into a
> pdf so it looks like a typical software manual. The XML is not of a
> standard format (as far as I know), and has no DTD, and the lower level
> elements have embedded HTML (that isn't in CDATA blocks).
>
> I'd welcome advice as to which path I should go down. The main choices
> seem to be:
>   1a. Make a style sheet and view in firefox then print to PDF.
>   1b. Use XSL to convert to HTML (then to PDF using firefox)
>   2a. Some open source program
>   2b. Some commercial program
>
> (Oh, it is in Japanese, in UTF-8, but hopefully that is no longer a factor.)

You could create a CSS stylesheet for it, then use Prince[1] to
create a PDF.

[1] http://www.princexml.com/

With the method of viewing in Firefox and then printing, I don't
think you'll have any control over the page breaks. Prince
supports the page-break-after and page-break-before CSS
properties and a bunch of other CSS properties that relate to
paged media, so I think you'll get better-looking output using
Prince.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith