[tlug] xml to pdf

I've got an xml file, of API documentation, and I need to make it into a
pdf so it looks like a typical software manual. The XML is not of a
standard format (as far as I know), and has no DTD, and the lower level
elements have embedded HTML (that isn't in CDATA blocks).

I'd welcome advice as to which path I should go down. The main choices
seem to be:
  1a. Make a style sheet and view in firefox then print to PDF.
  1b. Use XSL to convert to HTML (then to PDF using firefox)
  2a. Some open source program
  2b. Some commercial program

(Oh, it is in Japanese, in UTF-8, but hopefully that is no longer a factor.)

Darren