[tlug] Getting Audacity to not stutter (was: How to change IRQ address for a sound card?)

Stephen, Ken, Keith,

Thank you all for your tips and advice.

The situation is now that I have solved half my problem by ditching Skype in favour of WengoPhone, an open source equivalent. And by "equivalent" I mean "better". The sound is smooth, no distortions, and, as an added bonus, it has video calling which detected my Logitech webcam automagically. Installation was a breeze as well.

However, I still can't get Audacity to playback without stuttering. Of course, this is happening at a time when I need to do a little sound editing.

I've tried all sorts of experimentation with the volume settings, and I'm not seeing any changes, so I really don't think that's where the problem lies.

On the other hand, I'm willing to believe Stephen's assertion that IRQ settings are a bit of a red herring. Especially considering that I'm having so little trouble with other applications.

I've successfully updated my ALSA drivers, and have no errors anywhere that I can find.

Anyone have suggestions of where else I might look to get rid of the choppy playback in Audacity?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G