Re: [tlug] How to change IRQ address for a sound card?

Dave M G writes:

 > Yes, I know what you mean. Like I said, it only has  "PCM" and "Front"
 > volume which adjust overall volume (not sure about their relationship to
 > each other).

"Front" is probably "Master".

 > There are other sliders as well, but for things like "Microphone" and
 > "CD" and other things with I assume are of secondary concern.

If Ken's guess about this is right, sources are important.  Basically
(unless you know your application requires other treatment) you want
to keep the pipeline at as high volume as possible throughout without
distortion, and control volume as late as possible.  This improves
signal/noise.  However most control panels are not very helpful in
explaining which controls affect which part of the pipeline, assuming
that users were all recording engineers in past incarnations.

This is one reason why I really like NAS, it's designed to allow
applications to tell you about that kind of thing.

Unfortunately, I don't bother with this stuff much, my audio needs are
(so far) well-satisfied by iTunes, lame, and sox.  So I can't be very
specific.

Regarding why I don't expect a reset of the IRQ to be a permanent
solution, it's a combination of some trust in the designers of modern
buses to have finally gotten IRQ-sharing worked out, enough experience
to know that multimedia pipelines are sensitive to settings all the
way up and down the line (excessively so, in my totally underinformed
opinion :-), and bad experience with multimedia applications as a
developer who occasionally interfaces with them.  The bad experience
specifically has to do with evil perverse practices involving IRQ and
signal abuse, too.  Multimedia developers seem to confuse high
priority (which of course users will want their media apps to have)
with being the only app running on the machine, which they aren't and
can't be.