[tlug] Recovering from hosed GRUB-- still dead in the water

> I tried to increase the NTFS partition on my dual-boot R50e Thinkpad > (Debian Sarge). I got into trouble messing around and now I get GRUB > Error 22 immediately. >

Thanks Scot and others, but even if I chroot into the good partition and try to reinstall GRUB (doing a "grub-install hda"), I get the same error, e.g. "File /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly". I have already checked the grub menu spec and changed it to point to (hd0,7) (i.e. /mnt/hda8).

So I still am dead in the water. The chroot works OK, as far as I can see, my own Debian system id is available and so forth. But I don't know how to go any further to recover boot capability to my own Debian.

And my first concern is to recover access to the IBM_Preload and WinXP on the hard disk-- darn Thinkpads with no recovery disk at all, even on systems without a CD writer. I do need that other evil system from time to time.

Thanks,

David Riggs