Re: Emacs splash screen [was: Re: [tlug] lynx proxy settings

Stephen J. Turnbull ????????:
> Nguyen Vu Hung writes:
> Huh?  No, what's happening is that distros are assuming that you are a
> luser, and making sure you won't encounter any sharp objects that
> might give you a paper cut or a blister on your little finger.
They don't understand users like cjs and me. XEmacs is there. I don't
know how hard is it to merge the code but RMS can it his way. I've seen
a screenshot of emacs23 with a nice picture in the startup place. Does
it look very similar to XEmacs?

> Nowadays you have to prove yourself before they'll let you have the
> header files and debug libraries. :-(  (Yeah, I know, it saves a lot
> of space and bandwidth, but a full distro should be the default, and
> the user should be offered the option to omit -dev packages to save on
> space and bandwidth.)
They don't understand cjs and me xD. cjs use pine and I do everything
with my linux box via ssh. No X ( I need a little help from Tlug, just
shamelessly holding my breath from asking a noobish question ) access
from remote. That's why I've configure it with -without-x option last night.

> That's just a somewhat more user-friendly message than it used to be,
> where it said you had no X libraries at all.  Of course, it's still
> incorrect; what is almost surely missing is the headers, not the
> libraries.  Normally you'll link against the same dynamic libraries
> that are loaded by ld-linux.so at runtime, not anything provided by
> the -dev package.

Actually I've run emacs 23 10 minutes before you posted this email. Of
course, with --without-x.

If I run emacs, it shows a startup screen. I think it is much
informative than older versions.

If I run "emacs filename", it shows the start page on the top pane and
"filename" on the bottom pane. Thus I need an unnecessary  C-x C-k to
kill it.