Re: [tlug] USB2 external HDD

Darren Cook <darren@example.com> writes:

> I was surprised no replies. Is anyone using (writing to) a USB2 external
> HDD (or 2GB+ flash drive) with linux kernel 2.6 and is happy/unhappy
> with the speed? If so, which distro?

I have one of 80GB, connected by USB2 on gentoo, and I didn't do any
optimization. "hdparm -t /dev/sda1" gives a buffered disk read of about
25 MB/sec.  I guess that's not really fast (internal disk has 50+
MB/sec), but not slow enough that I would notice, since I use it only
for backup file transfer between computers.

Evan