[tlug] Best sound card for Linux

TLUG,

I would have thought that Creative/Sound Blaster would be the safest bet for Linux support, just based on the fact that it's so widely used and probably the hardware that people would attempt to develop for.

However a search on the net indicates that this is actually not the case at all. I have seen many sites warning people away from using Creative/Sound Blaster cards entirely.

What I can't get is a clear read on what is the most reliable card. I'm not looking for features, or digital output even. I just want the most rock solid reliable card on the market today.

There is a list of ALSA compatible hardware on the ALSA web site. But there are dozens of brands listed, and, as far as I can see, no listing by either popularity or rating to try and discern which ones or the most common and most reliable.

Has anyone bought an internal PCI sound card in Japan recently? Is there a brand that I'm likely to find in the local (Akihabara or Shinjuku) electronics shops that I can take home with certainty it will work in Linux?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G