Re: [tlug] Overloaded mail spool causing memory instability?

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:21:49 +0900, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> So, Godwin says 60,000+ emails can choke server resources, and Stephen
> says that won't happen.
>
> Godwin, would you care to elaborate on why you think the resources would
> be limited, or comment on what Stephen said?

I think Stephen and I were thinking about different stages in the process.

While 60k e-mails sitting there just uses up disk space and tagging a new
mail onto the end of an mbox file doesn't really use that many resources,
you cannot deny that those 60k e-mails being delivered to the mbox *did*
use up resources unnecessarily: bandwidth that you're paying for, RAM and
CPU time that could have been used for something else, not to mention the
sheer waste of time (and therefore money) having to get rid of the sodding
things later on.

The filesystem operation of adding the mail to an mbox is but a small part
of what it takes to process it.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Bills travel through mail at twice the speed of checks.